Wednesday, November 16, 2016

December Games pt.2

Pochettino has been suggesting we are overachieving in the league and I bristle at that. We'll show them. Spurs and Harry Kane make me nervous so I use two deep lying playmakers, Davis with a defensive role and HĂžjbjerg as support, rather than one with the advanced playmaker support role.

Long may the overachieving continue. Gerard Moreno scored the first after being played in by a nice through ball from Tadic. The game turned then after Eric Dier's red card at the end of the first half for a nasty challenge. We were in cruise control in the second half, Moreno adding his second with a fine header. Post match, Pochettino called us ordinary but I shrug him off and congratulate the lads on a fine victory.

We now prepare for a visit from Stoke who are in 17th. I will use the opportunity to rotate and hope it doesn't backfire. I rotate the fullbacks and the wingers, but keep Moreno in as he is hot, six goals in five matches.

Backfired. Well, only sort of, but I should've known when they scored three minutes in. Moreno equalized, vindicating my keeping him in. Luck was not on our side, Stoke's winner was a Jordy Clasie own goal that trickled over the line. The stats say it all; we created loads of chances, bossed possession, yet came up short.


Before the next match, I am interrupted by Cedric, who wants to discuss fist team soccer. I oblige and promise to give him starts in upcoming matches. Dalot is currently only expecting to play cup games, so I can keep both players happy while rotating my squad. Normally I rule with an iron fist however, if someone wants to leave, be my guest. A second interruption, this time by the board, offering me a 2 year extension on my contact. I accept delightedly.

Christmas comes and goes and the Boxing Day match is against West Brom, who are in 10th.

We once again concede an early goal, which is becoming a pattern. Jay Rodriguez in the second half missed a sitter from a header six yards out. I change to overload setting after subbing out the entire front three, pushing for the equalizer. Even being reduced to ten men for a second yellow by Jonas Olsson didn't help. A second goal by Berahino in stoppage time sealed our second loss in a row.


'Sterile possession', as Arsene Wegner once said. Only three shots on target, the same as West Brom, but they made their shots count. We have to right the ship and finish 2016 strong against Middlesborough.

A bore draw after we started off with an early Charlie Austin goal. Negredo equalized with a stunner from outside the 18, despite instructions to close down at all times. I feel play has suffered since my benching of Ward-Prowse, but seeing as he'll be off in January I don't want to play him.


This concludes the December games and there are new signings in January and a few departures. James Ward-Prowse will be leaving for Chelsea. Man City have announced interest in Virgil Van Dijk, but I have no interest in selling. At least not until summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment